print page icon

Commissioner of Oaths

The Town of Petawawa has Commissioners of Oaths that are available to commission documents regulated under the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act, R.S.O. 1990. The Town of Petawawa does not have a Notary Public and cannot notarize documents.

What is the role of a Commissioner of Oaths:

Commissioners for taking affidavits (referred to as commissioners of oaths) take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true to the best of the person's knowledge. The Commissioner of Oaths will not assist with the completion of the affidavit or provide legal advice. 

To have a document commissioned:

  • All parties required to sign the document must be present and provide valid government-issued photo identification to prove their identity;
  • The affidavit must be signed in the presence of the commissioner;
  • The entire document must be presented;
  • Staff will review the document to determine if the document meets specifications; and
  • If the paperwork is in order, all parties named in the document will then swear an oath of truth and the document will be stamped and sealed.

What documents can be commissioned?

What documents cannot be commissioned?

  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils (amendments) to Wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Divorce, Separation, Marriage, or Cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Real Estate documents, including transfer of land and rental lease agreements
  • Estate Settlement documents including transfers of money or estates of a deceased person
  • Declaration for replacement of shares
  • Documents related to finance (Banking information, RRSP, etc.)
  • Court, Legal and/or Civil issues related documents
  • Ministry of Community and Social Services Family Responsibility Office forms
  • Incomplete documents
  • Any documents requiring the signature of a guarantor (document will note this requirement)

You will need to take these documents to a lawyer for appropriate advice and assistance. 

It is at the discretion of the Commissioner of Oaths whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner is uneasy about the identity of the person signing or the content of the document for any reason, the Commissioner may refuse to sign the document and the deponent will be referred to a lawyer.

Documents that are in any language other than English will not be commissioned, as we cannot validate the information that is sworn. There will be no exceptions to the Policy.

Please note that identification pieces cannot be expired.  Health Cards cannot be used as photo identification in Ontario.

If you require commissioning services, please visit the Town Office or contact Kate Bennett, Coordinator of Legislative Services. 

Contact Kate Bennett