Commissioner of Oaths

The Town of Petawawa has Commissioners of Oaths that are available to commission documents regulated under the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act, R.S.O. 1990. The Town of Petawawa does not have a Notary Public and cannot notarize documents.

What is the role of a Commissioner of Oaths:

Commissioners for taking affidavits (referred to as commissioners of oaths) take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true to the best of the person's knowledge. The Commissioner of Oaths will not assist with the completion of the affidavit or provide legal advice. 

To have a document commissioned:

What documents can be commissioned?

What documents cannot be commissioned?

You will need to take these documents to a lawyer for appropriate advice and assistance. 

It is at the discretion of the Commissioner of Oaths whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner is uneasy about the identity of the person signing or the content of the document for any reason, the Commissioner may refuse to sign the document and the deponent will be referred to a lawyer.

Documents that are in any language other than English will not be commissioned, as we cannot validate the information that is sworn. There will be no exceptions to the Policy.

Please note that identification pieces cannot be expired.  Health Cards cannot be used as photo identification in Ontario.

If you require commissioning services, please visit the Town Office or contact Kate Bennett, Coordinator of Legislative Services. 

Contact Kate Bennett