Requirements for a Marriage Licence
For full details and the Marriage Licence Application form, please consult Getting Married (Province of Ontario).
- Licence fee: $100.00, payable by cash, cheque, or Interac. Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.
- The Marriage Licence Application must be fully completed, including all given names. It must be signed by both parties.
- The Marriage Licence can only be issued personally to the applicant and/or joint applicant.
- Two (2) pieces of identification for each person are required.
The following identification must be presented for both parties in order for a marriage licence to be issued:
- a valid birth certificate (including any change of name certificates); or
- a valid passport; or
- a record of immigrant landing; or
- a Canadian citizenship card.
In addition to the above documents, a second piece of identification in the form of government issued photo identification must also be presented for both parties. This may either be:
- a valid driver’s licence; or
- a valid passport; or
- a BYID age of majority card; or
- a Military ID.
All identification must be original, photocopies are not acceptable.
- Applicants under the age of 18 require parental consent. Please see the Issuer for further details.
- If either party has been divorced within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute is required. Photocopies will not be accepted. A certified copy of your certificate of divorce may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. All documents will be returned.
- If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization from the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services before a licence may be issued to you. You can do this by sending a completed marriage application along with a statement of sole responsibility form to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services directly. More information is available by visiting the Ministry of Government Services website or by calling 1-800-461-2156.
The Marriage Licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date the Licence is issued.
For further information, please call the Executive Assistant, Kate Bennett at 613-687-5536 ext 2017.