Any occupation for gain or support, which is carried on as an accessory use within a dwelling unit and operated by members of the one family residing in the dwelling unit. Such home occupation uses may include a service or repair shop; a personal service shop; the office or consulting room of a doctor, dentist, chiropractor, drug-less practitioner, lawyer, real estate agent, insurance agent, planner, architect, photographer, teacher, music or dance instructor or engineer, but does not include a clinic, a hospital, a nursing home, a tea room, kennel, a taxi business or a small internal combustion engine repair shop.
A home occupation shall be permitted in any Zone provided such home occupation conforms to the following provisions:
- The use shall be conducted entirely within the dwelling unit and carried on by person(s) residing in the dwelling unit. One employee, other than a resident of the premises, will be permitted to be employed.
- There shall be no external display or advertising other than a non-illuminated sign not more than 0.3 of a square metre in area, to indicate to persons outside that any part of the dwelling unit is being used for a purpose other than residential.
- Not more than 25% of the dwelling unit area shall be used for the purpose of home occupation uses.
- Such home occupation shall be clearly secondary to the main residential use and there shall be no change to the outside appearance of the dwelling unit or premises or any visible evidence of the conduct of a home occupation.
- There shall be no storage of equipment, vehicles, or supplies associated with the home occupation outside the dwelling.
- The use shall not require additional off-street parking spaces for clients or customers of the home occupation.
- The use shall not generate additional pedestrian or vehicular traffic beyond that normal to the neighbourhood in which it is located.
- No equipment or process shall be used in a home occupation which creates excessive noise, vibration, glare, fumes, or odour detrimental to the health, safety, and general welfare of persons residing in the neighbourhood.
- Where instruction is carried on, no more than six pupils are in attendance at any one time.
- A private garage shall not be used for a home occupation.
|Rules and Regulations for Home Occupations||1.21KB|