Call 911 or your local police, if you feel a bear poses an immediate threat to personal safety and:
- enters a school yard when school is in session
- enters or tries to enter a residence
- wanders into a public gathering
- kills livestock/pets and lingers at the site
- stalks people and lingers at the site
Generally, bears want to avoid humans. Most encounters are not aggressive and attacks are rare.
Call the Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327 (*between April 1-November 30) if a bear is:
- roaming around, checking garbage cans
- breaking into a shed where garbage or food is stored
- in a tree
- pulling down a bird feeder or knocking over a barbecue
- moving through a backyard or field but is not lingering
* From Dec 1-March 31, please contact your local MNRF District office.